Monday, June 20, 2005

 

No Work Posts - Uncertainty - The Demise of EQII - Where's Fogel

Not sure when the firewall started shooting roids', but its beefy new protection will no longer allow posting. Browsing is more than acceptable, but posting is a sin beyond salvation.

I'm sure there's a way around it, but I'm far too lazy.

I'm also a little blogged out. This is where I'll be Thursday and Friday for work: http://marketingpower.blogs.com/american_marketing_associ/2005/05/the_ama_hottopi_1.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Times of uncertainty. All time is uncertain, except for those rare prestidigitators who claim to see into the waves of the 4th dimension.

**RANT**Speaking of, I know this goes off topic but, where were the FUCKING PSYCHICS ON 9/11? If they say they didn't know that it wasn't going to happen they are charlatans, if they did know they, are cold callous shells of human beings. Which is it psychics? Are you frauds or baby killers? Fess up'**/RANT**

9/11 did change the world and I guess you could say it made times uncertain. That's certainly not inaccurate. A bit of a melodramatic way to simply mark the passage of time, but you gotta do what you need to do to fill the seats in entertainment.

Maybe that's the fundamental problem. I just said entertainment when I wanted to refer to news. For the sake of sensationalism, news is now no more than a sound bite. Instead of telling me the whole story, the media just collapses it into "times of uncertainty". Don't blame the news, blame the efficiency we keep striving for as a species.

I agree though the news sucks and the fear mongering performed by the media is deplorable.
--------------------------------------
I have left EQII. I'm not sure if I am cut out for the MMORPG environment. I loved the original EQ. Fogel will attest to the fact I widdled away many hours as a digital wizard.

I just couldn't get into EQ2 like I did the original. Every time I logged in felt like a chore. Like I had to log on becasue I was paying for it.

So what changed? Well the game it self. The original forced you to group. When you got neyond level 20. It was group or hunt the same shit over and over again each level. The content for soloing was sparse. This forced a lot of poeple to give up on the game becasue they couldn't find groups. So for EQ2 they put in a bunch of solo adventures, and therein lies the rub. As a solo game EQ is only average at best. The quests are overly repetitive and not incredibly original. For the MMO aspect it is still king, but as an RPG it's a resounding ehhhh. I will be ahappy man when the new Morrowind comes out.

--------------------------------

Fogel are you in training or dead??

Comments:
I have never actually played a MMORPG game before. I've wanted to try Star Wars and I tried City of Heroes at Fogel's house once, but I never really got into them.

It's mainly because my computer blows but it's also because I can see plunking down fifty bucks and then have to pay a monthly fee on top of that. Pass.
 
The game mechanics are idiotic when you boil it down and remove all of the bells and whistles.

Group gets attacked, hit the heal, nuke, swipe or charm spell as your class dictates.

EQII tried to make it robust, but it didn't quite fly.

I'm now playing Pirates.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home