Friday, July 08, 2005

 

Larry Niven

Rememeber that scene in Mallrats when Brodie is describing the mating difficulties of Superman? Well, that wasn't all that original. In 1971, Larry Niven, author of the Ringworld books, wrote this article on the subject: Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex.

What's the deal with Kevin Smith anyway? He says he's never doing a Jay and Silent Bob movie again. Then he does Jersey Girl, it flops, and now I hear he's doing a sequel to Clerks. Make up your mind, man.

Comments:
Spaulding the link to the Superman article isn't working.

I don't think Smith is 100% certain what he wants to do. To be honest I would like to see him do comics full-time.

His work on Daredevil and then on Green Arrow is some of the finest stuff I've read.

I don't think his movie dialogue works very well outside of the Askewniverse. Very few people talk like his charachters and the people that do are probably emulating Randall from Clerks.

I like Jersey Girl, but as I apporoach the desire to sire I find myself softening to things that are "cute". I thought the film had a depth missing from...well everything else he has done.

On the shallow meter from least to greatest here's how I rate his films.

Chasing Amy (still his finest film, if for nothing more than Jason Lee. And I will say this film had more raw emotion than Jersey Girl).

Clerks (with the original ending)

Jersey Girl

Dogma (close second to Chasing Amy as one of my favorite flicks)

Mall Rats

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (I laughed my ass off, but hardly an emotional stretch for anyone involved)
 
My bad. Try the link now.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home