Monday, August 15, 2005

 

Cheese's Basement - Comic Recap

I'm going to start doing some more comic related stuff with my posts. It's a huge part of what I enjoy in life, and to be frank I'm tired of bitching about the state of the world.

I encourage others to continue pontificating about life, love, money, politics, whatever...I've just realized I need to start being a little more positive and slightly more light-hearted.

This is not say some of recaps won't tear the assholes out of books (which can be found directly below the UPC code box for those that don't know comic anatomy), especially some of the schlock that they now want you to pay $3.00 a book for. And let me begin my first recap there.

Annuals


Marvel has brought back the summer annual (at least in their Ultimate Universe) with the release of Ultimates Annual 1. Now, I haven't read this book yet, but when I look at a cover price approaching $4.00 for a book that doesn't measure much thicker than the monthly, I have to say any sympathy I have for the decline of comics starts to wane - drastically.

Forgotten Annuals
Like every other child I looked forward to the summertime. Eternal days spent running between sprinklers (or pool hopping as I entered my rebellious years), and sneaking between peoples' back yards to shave just a few precious minutes off my trip to Hubbard's Cupboard to buy some candy (loved Gobstoppers), a slushie, and most importantly my comic annuals.

Annuals were priceless. For slightly more than the cover price of your monthly books, you received three times the publication. Some would be compilations of many stories, others would offer a seamless continuity between all of the summer annuals in that particular universe.

Those days seem to be gone. Now this Ultimates Annual could be the best story I've ever had the privilege of reading, but that doesn't negate the fact that I'll be done with it in the same time it takes me to read the monthly.

Am I asking for quantity not quality? No, I want both.

My Favorite Annual
Anyone who claims to love DC and hasn't read Armageddon 2001 from the early 90's is only merely infatuated. Like marriage, true love doesn't happen until you've endured some hardship together, when you have walked through dark times and emerged together smiling and better for the journey. Armageddon 2001 is similar in that it takes you on a dark journey to the future (now past) of DC's greatest heroes. And you do end up loving them more afterward than before you started. I'll say now, the end is extremely lame, but the journey is so good you forgive them. At least I did.

Wrap up: If you're going to charge me more, give me more or don't bother.

Comments:
When I was really collecting comics in the late '80s, early '90s, there was only one Annual that I really remember, and it was mainly for the cover. Here's a picture of it, which I happened to stumble across. The only other ones I remember were from the "Acts of Vengence" series, which ran across all of Marvel-dom.

Anyway, I'm still gonna bitch about the world. It's partly because there's a lot of issues in the world that need to be addressed, but mainly because I'm an angry, cynical, jaded man.
 
I would expect no less Oh Captain, my captain!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home