Monday, August 29, 2005

 

Hey NeoColletor

You're latest post won't allow for comments, so I guess I'll leverage Nerd Powah to respond.

Kingdom Come & The Dark Knight Returns


These are what I fel to be two of teh finest books ever produced. I would add "Marvels" to this list, but I know you are solely a DC gal.

I lent you both of those books because
A) I knew what an all out Superfreak you are
B) They both give a humanity to big blue that never makes it into a lot of his other stories

The Dark Knight Returns is Batman's book through and through. From the opening car race to the final moments where he fakes his own death. This book pushed me from enjoying comics to loving them in that special man-paper way.

I will always see Superman as the primary villan of this story. It's not that he's outright I'm going to ransom the world for a "beelion dollars" evil, it's just his ideals differ so greatly from Batmans and his faith in humanity almost blinds him to our flaws. This makes him weak and a puppet of a corrupt system. Plus he sold out all of the other super heores simply so he could stay on earth. The best villians are the ones that are convinced that their cause is just. If you didn't read this book, you're not a Superman fan. The new Batman/Superman series has done and amazing job continuing this dichotomy of ideals between these two charachters.

Kingdom Come is a very different book. This is the Elseworld take on "The Justice league" as they enter their golden years. Superman is just tired of it all,, especially the new generation of Superheroes, who embody only the first part of that title. They are cold callous and run the polanet like it's their personal playground as opposed to protecting and cherishing the life around them. Plus the art was done by Alex Ross...

Evolution of a Comic Collector


The one down side to getting te books delievred wouldn't be a problem for you now. You are married to titles and charachters more than authors or artists. As time progresses though you may find yourself following a certain creative team as well as your chestnut subscriptions. I have a couple of these:

Alex Ross: The most stunning picturtes in comics
Kurt Busiek: Astro City and Marvels reignited my love of collecting
Bill Willingham: Any man that make Gepeto the lord of all evil is tops in my book
Brian Vaughan: Ex Machnia, Y: The Last Man & Runaways are less comic books and more artistic indictements on society
Bendis & Johns: The superstars of the Marvel and DC Universes. Johns actually got me reading DC again. Thank You!


What was the book you just finished Neo? Details please, Judas Contract sound familiar, but I can't remember them all.

Comments:
Who wrote it? Perez?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home