Wednesday, August 10, 2005

 

What to do if a failed sci-fi author founded your religion...

Someone I know recently told me that they would never pay to see a Tom Cruise movie again. The reason was that while appearing on Oprah, Cruise stated that he didn't believe that there was such thing as chemical imbalances in the brain and that all mental disorders and learning diabillities are essentially imagined. This was based on his belief in Scientology. My friend thought this was extremely irresponsible of him and how the hell could he do that. He's a role model and should be setting an example, and so on.

Now, I have had my share of chemical imbalances and medications. I have had people very close to me have severe mental problems including clinical depression, bipolar disorder and so on. I have seen what a chemical imbalance can do to a person, and it is truly horrific.

That being said, I have to say I could give a rat's ass about what Tom Cruise has to say about depression and chemical imbalances. To me, he is not a role model and no one, no one, should look to movie stars to set an example. Role models are people who have done things that better mankind. Role models are people who not only overcome but triumph against adversity. Role models are selfless people. What part of that description does a movie star fill?

Movie stars really tick me off. They are selfish, grossly overpaid egomaniacs. Of all of the people who work to make a movie, they do the least amount of work and get paid the most. They are spoiled and coddled. Some develop a guilt complex from this and then proceed to plague us with their lame ass attempts at charity or political activism. They seem to think that just because they've achieved some sort of celebrity, that their opinion of world events is more valid than yours or mine. They think that going on a tour of a famine-ridden village for a few photo ops with dying children seems to do some good.

Don't get me wrong; I have no problem with actors. Most actors are hard-working people dedicated to their art. Actors make commercials for hemorrhoid cream and make training films for pharmaceutical companies in order to eat. There is a fundamental difference between an actor and a movie star. I don't know when the change happens. Perhaps it's with the first click of a paparazzi camera. Perhaps it's the first seven-figure check. I don't know.

Tom Cruise is a moron. Anyone who believes there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance should go down to any mental hospital and look the patients in the eye and say “Everything that's wrong with you doesn't exist.” He's a self-righteous idiot. Do I think him irresponsible for going on TV and saying that? No. It's his belief and he's entitled to it, no matter how stupid it is. He's not pretending to be an expert. If I had to pick anyone, I blame Oprah for giving him the opportunity. She should have at least had someone on the couch to counter the argument, even if it was a dink like Dr. Phil.

People have told me that I shouldn't make fun of Scientologists, that just because one person in their ranks is a nutjob that doesn't mean everyone is. Well, no one ever had a problem with thinking that all of the Heaven's Gate cult was a bunch of raving nutters. And don't hand me that "Scientology is a religion, not a cult" nonsense. Do you know what the difference between a cult and a religion is? Numbers.

A group of 100 people worshiping a rutabaga is a cult. A group of 100 million people worshiping that rutabaga is a major religion. Christianity was considered a cult by the Romans until Constantine converted and made it the official religion of Rome.

So I'll still go see Tom Cruise's movies. I've enjoyed his work from time to time. Do I respect him? No. Do I think he's an idiot? Yes. Does his opinion influence me in the slightest? No. Should it for anyone? Only if you're in a scene with him. Is he someone to look up to? Not on your life.

Do you know why they are called stars? Because their asses shine so brightly after being kissed so much.

Comments:
Man, if we aren't on an FBI watchlist, at least now we'll be on a Scientologist watchlist.
 
LOL - Mrs. Cheese blew off War of the Worlds for all of the reasons you mentioned in your post.

In my opinion she shut herself out from seeing a great film.

I never bought in to Hollywood's causes. I see them as removed from the "everyman" as Washington. Yet, for some reason these are the guiding forces of our society.

It boggles the mind.
 
If we knew everything about movie stars (and depite all the press and papparazzi, we don't), no one would ever see another movie under that kind of logic.

Movie stars have wealth, fame and NO responsibility. Do people really expect that to bring out the best in people?
 
Two words too end this debate: Empire Earth.

A 4 year old could could develop a better story.

Thanks, but I'll stay in the church of Asimov.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home