Friday, October 14, 2005

 

American Dad

I think that it can pretty much go without saying that American Dad, Seth MacFarlane's follow up to the Family Guy, pretty much blows. I have given it a try, and it pains me to watch.

However, the other night I was flipping through the channels and happened across an episode. I had been seeing commercials for this episode all week, in which the American Dad is having trouble dealing with the fact that his son is a geek. Anyway, I tuned in at the middle of the episode. The dad and the son were at a Sci Fi convention, and the geeks were after them for some reason. The crowd was turning ugly, and closing in on our heroes.

The crowd parts (think the basket chase scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark), and instead of a swordsman, it was The Star Wars Kid. That's right, The Star Wars Kid, hero to geeks and fanboys across the globe.

I completely lost it. This was the type of humor that made The Family Guy great. Not just pop culture references, but the most obscure references that only geeks like us would get. Brilliant.

Now if they could just get rid of 99% of the characters from American Dad, they might actually have something.

Comments:
LOL! What an approporiate response. I'm ashamed to say I'm in marketing some days. At least I can take solace in the fact I'm not a marketing WHORE!

I agree 110% with the American Dad reference. And I want to love it becasue it brought Patrick Stewart back to television.

The biggest problem is that the charachters aren't acessible. Like it or not we all know a Quagmire or Peter. Even Brian makes a little bit of sense. He's everyones favorite drunk uncle.

I don't know too mnay people who live Uncle Arthur from Bewitched. So that makes the alien not accessible. And I dont know too many Eastern Europeans, so that loses me on the Goldfish.

Have fun, but keep it real Seth.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home