Tuesday, October 11, 2005

 

First October Post - BooYah

Pulling myself out of the vacum of new television shows for some webby pontificating.

I'll be spending the beginning of next month at Vertex Exchange 2005, presenting on "Blogs in Corporate America". I have a feeling most people registered for this class just so they can figure out what their kids are up to.

When not preparing for the left coast, I have been engrossed in the greatest graphic novel to bitch slap my imagination since Watchmen; Rising Stars by J. Michael Straczyinski. Before anyone comic purist crawls up my ass, "No, I am not endorsing Dynamic Forces with this link, in fact I think they smother the life out of comic collecting with their impenetrable bagging system. It was just the first hit on Google."

What I like about JMS is that he writes utilizing one of Franklin Covey's tenants of business success - Begin with the end in mind.

As he showed us with Babylon 5, JMS isn't concerned with milking a dead cow by making a series stretch out indefinitely. He writes in arcs, huge enormous arcs, but arcs none the less. Babylon 5 was intended to be a 5 year program and that's exactly what it was.

Rising Stars was intended to have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Unlike Superman and Batman these characters don't live forever, they are extrodinary but they are mortal. In my opinion that raises the stakes and my interest level. Very few books walk you through a character's entire life. Rising Stars walks you through the entire life of 113 of the most extrodinary people this world has ever seen.

Comments:
knowing that superman or batman would never die always kinda turned me off to their stories. it's probably why the concept of john fiorella's "grayson" is so intriguing... that batman is actually dead and the boy wonder's gotta step up and throw down.

(www.untamedcinema.com in the off chance that you haven't seen it yet)
 
Thanks for the link Dante, this reminds me of the Batman movie that came out a few years ago. Same creator?

I wonder what drives people to make these fake trailers? They are very cool, but there is still that element of chessiness to them. It just seems like a lot of money to invest in something that will never be seen outside of a few select geek circles.

I love love love the premise of this though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home