Wednesday, January 04, 2006

 

Favorite Scenes - The Sequel

Sorry to hijack your post Spaulding but my reply was becoming a post of its own.

Like most culturally void Americans, I consider any material authored prior to my birth immaterial. And I believe that movies are getting better as time progresses.

If a movie opens in black and white and I can tell it's not Clerks, I immediately shut it off.

I know - I suck

So my list of greatest scenes, are probably square in-line with that of your average 15 year old.

No particular order (or maybe they are as these are the ones that readily pop into my mind). A lot of these rely heavily on the music playing in the background. Oh yeah TV sneaks in as well. Sorry!
=============================
John Cusak holding the boom box under Ione Skye's window in Say Anything. The first movie I went to on a date.

The entire montage of Freaks & Geeks when they are at the makeout party and Bob Seeger's "Accompany Me" plays. The wanton desire blanketed with pubescent fear really makes me think these kids weren't acting.

The end of Return of the King when Vigo Mortison says "No one bows before you little bitches" and then everyone bows except for the two gay hobbits and their stoner pals. I cried - swear to God.

Back to the Future - The whole dam movie - I saw this movie ten times in the theater when it opened. I was on summer vacation and I would use my allowance money to hop the train in Fanwood N.J. to the movie theater in Westfield. There is no comparison to the freedom a latch key kid has on summer vacation. 11 years old, no job, riding a train and basking the glory of a time traveling Delorean - sheer rapture indeed.

Christopher Reeve crouched over the corpse of Margot Kidder in Superman after she drowned in the earthquake (I think – it looks like a tide of dirt kills her). The anguish on C. Reeve's face was some amazing acting. A great great actor. It's almost a shame he was so man-pretty because that was his only hindrance in breaking out of the leading man mold. I say it's a shame because leading man roles suck. The meat is in character acting.

And just when you thought this list couldn’t sink further into the bowels of Americana.

Spider-Man II when Mary Jane says “Go get em’ Tiger”

I also have to agree with my esteemed colleague on “A Christmas Story”, adding to it the scene where Santa kicks Ralphie down the slide. That entire scene was a great slap in the face to the commercialization of Christmas.

And I’m going to pick a Star Wars moment, also from Empire, but it isn’t the big reveal. My favorite was when Han Solo was frozen in carbonite and Leia says she loves him. Harrison Ford’s response of “I know” captured the soul of that character. I recently developed a whole new respect for that scene when I found out that the line was improvised by Ford.

Comments:
"Go get'em tiger?" Man, you're a geek.

So, you rule out pretty much anything that predates you? How about 2001? How about the Great Escape?

Seems to me that in a lot of ways movies have gotten worse over the years. Sure, they've improved in a lot of ways too, but I think there's a lot that they've lost.
 
2001 a Space Odyssey was cool, I let that one slip in :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home