Tuesday, June 06, 2006

 

The Fast and the Moronic

I just recently saw the trailer for the latest "Fast and the Furious" movie (yes, they made another); "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift." Personally, I think the movie's tagline can go on the list of the stupidest taglines of all time:

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Speed Needs No Translation

Huh? Is that supposed to make any sense whatsover? Okay, I get it. They're in Japan. They speak Japanese and the American characters speak English. But an auto race is still an auto race no matter where you go. How very clever.

It's still freaking retarded.

The stupidity is compounded by the fact that in Japan, just like the other 95% of the world, they use the metric system. So, in essence, for an American traveling in Japan, speed actually does need translation.

Incidentally, the onlynations on Earth who haven't officially adopted the metric system is the United States, Liberia and Myanmar.

Comments:
So are you angrier at the whole metric thing or Vin Diesel?
 
What really angers me is the fact that some idiot in a marketing firm somewhere got paid a shitload of money for that line. It angers me even more that some moron producer somewhere thought “Yeah, that works for me.”

Vin Diesel was smart enough to get out after the first movie. He may star in bad movies, but he’s smart enough to realize that they’re bad, and doesn’t hang around for the sequel. (Think XXX) The thing that I'm angry about regarding Vin Diesel is the fact that he's starring as Agent 47 in the Hitman movie. Bad choice.

The metric system annoys me because it's so freaking simple, yet I can't get my head around it. I could learn to accept changing length, volume, or area. But temperature, that's a bitch to me.

Look at it this way:

For us Fahrenheit users, we view temperature in terms of 10s of degrees. In other words, if I said that the temperature was going to be in the 70s, we would have a certain understanding about how warm it was going to be today. You’d dress accordingly, etc. You don't have to know what the exact temperature will be. A range will work out fine.

In the metric world, 70 degrees F translates to 21.1 degrees C. The range of the 20s in Celsius goes from 68 degrees F to 86 degrees F.

If someone asked me what it was going to be like, and I said it was going to be in the 20s, that doesn't really give one a good impression of the nature of the weather. 68 is very different from 86.

Fahrenheit, while less useful in a scientific or mathematic sense, is much more useful from a human perspective. Maybe it’s just because I’ve always used Fahrenheit, and that’s what I know.
 
I've heard native Celsius speakers (such as Canadians) refer to temperatures in the "low 20s" or the "high 20s" (for example), which accomplishes the same precision as saying that the (Fahrenheit) temperature is in the "seventies" or the "eighties".
 
I like the Celsius temperature scale for the simple reason that it does relate to human experience:
30 to 40 C = 85 to 104 F, Hot
40 to 50 C = 104 to 122F, dangerously hot
above 50C = 122F Deadly
20 to 30 C = 68 to 85F Mild, nice
10 to 20 C = 50 to 68F, cool
0 to 10 C = 32 to 50F, chilly
-10 to 0 C = 24 to 32F, cold
I am out of fine distinctions for cold, but you can feel it. 77F is 25C, and it just above average for home thermostats. The only problem I see is the negatives are too common. Your comment about a "certain understanding" is just bias. I can give you the temperature in Celsius within a few degrees by feel. By the way, our average body temperature is not exactly 98.6F. That was a conversion from 37C, but it varies from person to person, and that was the rough value. It was not 37.0C. Note the lack of a "significant digit".
 
Post a Comment

<< Home